Friday, July 29, 2011

There is NO Turkey Bacon in Heaven!

There it sat on the counter in its gelled mysterious form glaring up at me.  Fear gripped me.  This cannot be a good thing.  I mean, look at it!  WHAT is it?  It doesn’t even “sizzle” nor shrink.  As I close my eyes to take that first bite I remember,
“Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you where you go.” ~Joshua 1:9
I always imagined that this scripture would be most useful for the young soldier that is about to climb the hill to face the combatant enemy on the other side.  You know, those life or DEATH situations.  I never imagined that it would come in handy for a chubby chic about to eat a foreign substance for the betterment of her health. But there it was, resonating as I was about to take that bite into the dreaded turkey bacon.
Why oh why would they invent turkey bacon?  Why oh why am I forced to chose this option.  Well, the answer to the latter is simple.  I chose to put myself in this situation by over eating in other situations.  See, it’s simple.  Yet, not so simple to fix.
“Then the LORD God said to the woman, ‘What is this you have done?’ The woman said, ‘The serpent deceived me, and I ate.” ~Genesis 3:13
Ah yes!  So familiar.  That is what I used to rely up on also.  It’s not my fault!  I’m too busy to prepare meals, track food and get all sweaty and ruin my make-up.  Make-up isn’t cheap you know! I have things to do, places to be, people to make happy.  But I forgot that while I was running, going and doing my baggage was getting heavier.  And I don’t simply mean the baggage on my caboose.  I mean my spiritual baggage.  I was not taking responsibility and was blaming others or situations for my choices.  I had a choice to be led astray or to resist temptation.  And so do you.  We must honor God by resisting the urges to eat foods that are not part of our weight loss plan.
Here is the silver lining!  Not only do we achieve better health and well-being while we are here, we can go day by day knowing that there is no turkey bacon in Heaven.  That bizarre gelatin mold formed from mysterious parts of a turkey cannot be a Godly thing. I can picture it now.  I walk through those pearly gates and the LORD turns to me and says, “Ahead on your left you will find the A La Carte Zero Calerio Restaurante.  Eat, drink, be merry with your friends and family!”  Well, maybe not in those exact terms.
We must honor the LORD God almighty in ALL that we do including making the right choices for our health.  Give thanks before each meal and ask on a daily basis for the strength and courage to make the right choices so that you may reap the reward of a turkey bacon-less Heaven later.

No comments:

Post a Comment